We arrived in Alice Springs and set about getting organised for the next part of our trip. My brother and Alec’s grandparents will be flying to Alice Springs and then traveling down to Uluru with us.

Alec was very excited to see his grandparents and uncle as we greeted them at the airport. With very little trouble we got them thought the airport, picked up the hire car and found there accommodation for the night in the centre of town.

The next morning Alec and I packed up camp and then met our new travel companions on the outskirts of town. We then heading south down the Stuart Highway stopping once for a coffee break and then a lunch stop at Erldunda roadhouse. Alec’s and my second visit in as many weeks, and just as busy as the first time.


Bitumen all the way.

After lunch we turned west onto the Lasseter highway and to Yulara. The resort village that caters for all the tourist visiting Uluru and where we will be staying for 4 days.


On our way to Yulara we pulled over at a road side lookout. That is Mt Conner in the distance.


Across the road from the look out was a salt pan. It required a short climb up a sand dune but the view was worth it.

There are numerous options suiting everyone’s budget and taste at Yulara. We shared a split level apartment. This worked well for us. More comfortable and stylish than we were use to and it was good to spend time together with family.

Over the next 4 days we played tourists and did a variety tours and activities.

First we did a sacred site tour. This gave us an understanding of the cultural significance of Uluru to the local indigenous population. As part of the tour we visited the interpretation centre and got a guided walk though some of the sacred sites around the rock.


Everyone soaking up the information from our tour leader.


 This water hole is only supplied by water running off the rock after rain.

A sunset viewing is a must. We did a tour again. Getting picked up from the resort and driven to the viewing area. The tour also included wine and nibbles.



Just couldn’t help my self. It is a Scania bus after all.


Everyone trying to get the perfect picture and Alec making sure he get his fair share of the food.

Both David and myself enjoy bike riding. We couldn’t go past riding around Uluru. So we hired bikes and rode around the big red rock.


Right we shouldn’t get lost.


Another tag along bike. I wish Alec would pedal more.


This is the starting point for the walk to the top. This will be closed permanently in 2019.



Selfie time.



While I got a well deserved nap in. Everyone went and watched a native animal display that is on at regular times at the resort. Alec and Grandad were very brave.


The reptile’s weren’t the only desert animals that we came across. Grandad, Grandma and David decided to ride a camel. Alec was to young so we couldn’t go. Instead we got to watch while everyone got on and off the animals. Very funny indeed.


On the way up.


Made it safe and sound. 


David nice and comfy.


Alec and I fed the farm animal’s while we waited for the camels to come back. Hopefully with people still on them.


We also got to check out some of the other camels.


Grandad saying thank you for the good ride and not biting him.



On the final day David and I drove out to Katu Tjuta and did a bush walk. Katu Tjuta is a group of large rock formations not far from Uluru and is well worth a visit if in the area.


Katu Tjuta from a viewing platform.


David admiring the awesome rock formation.

We also did a night tour of the Field of lights Uluru. This is an art installation by artist Bruce Munro. Photo’s were near impossible due to the low light. Below is the link to the website which will give a good idea what we had seen.

Field of lights Uluru

Once our four days were over we drove back to Alice Springs. We had a day to fill in before we had to part ways. We decided to go have a look at the National Road Transport Hall Of Fame. This also includes the Kenworth Dealer Hall of Fame and the Old Ghan Heritage Railway.



This was Alec’s favourite because it had a crane.


Uncle David showing Alec how it is done. Wait what?


I did my apprenticeship working on this model Scania truck and now they are in museums. I feel so old.



The Kenworth hall has an impressive selection of trucks.


New vs old.

The next day we said our good byes. Alec and I made an early start. We had some kilometres to make over the next week. The final leg of our journey. Alec’s grandparents and David would fly out later that day.

Watching Cranes.

In the caravan park that we were staying at in Alice Springs, new cabin’s were being added to the park. The cabin’s are made off the property and trucked in. We were lucky enough to be there when three of the cabins arrived to be put on site.

Alec loves his cranes and this was a super exciting time. We were able to spend the time watching the crane lift the cabin’s off the truck and onto the cement pad.

Alec watching with great interest and often explained to me what was happening.

This was one of the high lights of Alec’s trip. Sometimes it just a matter slowing down and observing what is around you. It very easy to get caught up in all the tourist places and hot spots. To a four-year old anything can be an adventure and interesting.







1 thought on “Uluru

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s