Weipa, Janie Creek and Stone Crossing


We arrived in Weipa dirty, smelly and in need of a good dry out. The carpet in the Mav was still wet from my puddle crossing attempt and both camper and car were covered in mud and dust. We were fast running out of clean clothes and eating the last of the food in the fridge.

I also had to work out a plan for the next stage of our trip.

The problem was we were now bang smack in the middle of the school holidays. The busiest time to travel in Cape Yoke.The grey nomads had been replaced with family’s and children. Which was great for Alec. He had a ball playing with all the other kids in the caravan park. But not so good for travellers who don’t like to plan too far in advance. I definitely didn’t want to be up at the tip of Cape York during this period.

Over the next couple of days I worked out a plan. I decided to stay in Weipa a week. Instead of doing it on the way down. Then spend the next couple of weeks exploring and slowing making our way to the tip. Timing our arrival out of the school the holiday period.

While in Weipa I got a repair done to the Mav, gave the car and camper a good check over, greased the camper trailer, removed everything from the car and and gave it a good dry out and a clean, restocked food, did multiply loads of washing, had plenty of hot showers, ate out a lot and Alec filled up on baby chino’s. Ready to go bush again.


Sunset over the beach in front of the Weipa caravan park.


Alec enjoying the sunset.


One of the ore trains that carries the bauxite from the mine site to the ship loading facility. Weipa is a mining town and is one of the largest bauxite mines in the world.The main ingredient for Aluminum production. I wanted to do a mine tour so Alec could see the big trucks but there is a age restriction for OH&S reasons.


We did a day trip out to Mapoon while staying in Weipa. Not a bad spot to spread the picnic blanket and have lunch.


Even had a swing.

Our next camp was beach rather than bush. We headed north  along the coast to the Aboriginal lands of Mapoon. Here we found a beach camp at the mouth of Janie creek. This was great spot except for the mosquitoes that invaded as soon as the sun set.


On the way down to Janie Creek we drove the inland track instead of the beach. It was high tide.


Janie Creek.


Not far from our camp was a closed down turtle rescue centre. When open in ran wilderness camps. The guests helped with the turtle conservation work.


Did I mention the sunsets.


We were able to drive down the beach on the way out from Janie Creek. Much easier and quicker than the inland track.

After a 2 night stay at Janie creek, I was keen to find a camp away from the mosquitoes. I figure getting away from the coast would be our best chance. We drove back towards Weipa and found a amazing spot on the Wenlock river called Stone Crossing. Here we stayed 4 nights.


We did some exploring on the way to Stone Crossing. There wasn’t much of a track sometimes.


We found some very well set up camps on the river. These are set up by the traditional owners. This one even had a jetty.


Morning picture of the Wenlock river.


And another


Our first fire with just Alec and myself. I haven’t been bothered with fires because Alec was a little to young and I was concern about safety. With Alec older now I thought I would give I go.


Stone Crossing. I had been told this is a back way onto the Telegraph Road. However there seems to be some contention over if you are allowed to use it. The map above shows the road but other maps I have don’t. This part of the river is tidal. This photo is at low tide. At high tide the rapids reverse.

Janie Creek Mosquitoes

Wow. I have never experience anything like it.

When we arrived at Janie creek we were warned by fellow campers that the mosquitoes were bad. They were leaving early than expected because of them. While having lunch I pondered what to do. I almost back tracked to find somewhere else, I decided to try one night at least.

My plan was to get dinner and baths done early and spend the night in the tent. Which we did successfully. Not a single bite on Alec or myself.

We got up the next morning and I didn’t realise there were still some mozzies hanging around which immediately decided Alec had the better blood and he got multiply bites. Bugger!!

The next night we did the same. However I decided I would have a wash down myself before heading in side. It was fast getting dark and here I was naked outside with a swarm of mozzies about to hit. I have never had such a quick bath. As I was finishing my bath the mozzies started attacking. It can only be described as a swarm. I must of look like I was doing some weird redneck country slapping dance as I tried in vain to stop this little vampires from sucking me dry.

With another night in the tent listening to the buzzing of mozzies and watching them sitting on the fly screens. I decided to move on the next morning.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s